How to Keep Your Garbage Can From Smelling
Posted on March 10th, 2017 by Residential Waste Systems
We’ve all experienced it, but no one wants a smelly trash can. Sometimes, even after taking out the garbage, your trash bin might still have a lingering smell. Fortunately, there are simple ways to prevent this common household problem. Here are a few tips to help you keep foul odors at bay.
How to Deodorize Your Trash:
- Avoid Throwing Away Damp Objects – Drain off any excess liquid into your sink before throwing an item in the trash. Bacteria thrive in damp environments. Although, you should be placing rinsed out soup cans and other jars in your recycling, instead!
- Sprinkle Some Baking Soda – Throw some baking soda directly into your garbage bag! This is a powerful deodorizer that doesn’t just work wonders in your fridge.
- Throw Away Used Dryer Sheets – After doing a load of laundry, put your used dryer sheets in your kitchen garbage. This will help absorb any smells.
- Put Smelly Items in A Separate Bag – Consider putting your smellier trash in a separate bag. Fish, leftovers, spoiled products should be in a separate, sealable container to prevent odors from seeping out.
- Take Out the Trash More Frequently – Don’t let trash sit in your kitchen or bathroom for days at a time. Take out your bags to your trash bin so that they don’t stink up your home!
If you have any questions about your residential recycling or trash removal pickup, do not hesitate to contact our office! Visit our website or give us a call directly at 203-331-0173 to learn more about the services that we offer.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media for more tips and tricks!