How to Make Your Trash Can Smell Better
Posted on August 10th, 2017 by Residential Waste Systems
There is nothing worse than a smelly trash can sitting in your kitchen. Sometimes, the odor can be hard to cover up! If you’re struggling to eliminate trash can odors at home, here are a few ways that you can keep foul odors at bay.
Tips to Eliminate Odors:
- Get a Smaller Trash Can – An easy way to cut back on smells is to get a small trash can inside. Having a smaller receptacle will force you to take the trash out more often — and our trash bins are 96 gallons, so you’ll have plenty of room for your garbage outdoors.
- Drain Off Excess Liquid – Moisture creates a damp, smelly environment in your trash can — instead of letting that sit in your trash, drain it off into the sink first.
- Keep Smelly Stuff Separate – If you know that a certain food is going to be smelly, dispose of it in a bag of its own. Fish scraps, animal bones, and other smelly leftovers should be placed in a sealable container before getting thrown in the trash.
- Absorb Odors with Baking Soda – Baking soda is a great way to absorb odors. Sprinkle a light layer in the bottom of your can before replacing the bag. This will help absorb odors fast.
- Tackle Smells with Bleach – If your odors are particularly tough to get rid of, you may need to disinfect the can with bleach. Just be sure to keep the work area well ventilated, as bleach is highly concentrated.
If you have any questions about our recycling or trash removal services here at Residential Waste Systems, do not hesitate to give our office a call directly at 203-331-0173 or visit our website to learn more about the services that we offer.